Sunday, January 23, 2011

Simplify


+++


Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify
Henry David Thoreau

An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Thoreau


If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most.
Elder Uchtdorf



I'm giving a lesson in Relief Society today on Elder Uchtdorf's talk Of Things That Matter Most
I have loved reading and listening to this talk all week. I have found it to be such a great exercise to look at my life and ask myself where I am spending most of my time. I am reminded how much I love the topic of simplicity and the desire I have to rid of the extra stuff. A simpler wardrobe, simpler foods, a simpler home, a simpler use of my time. I always find more joy and purpose when I am doing the things that I know I should be doing and not cluttering my life with the fluffy stuff. The four key relationships that need nurturing and time are with Heavenly Father, my Family, Fellowman, and Myself. I am feeling rejuvenated.

6 comments:

brightbit said...

great post! such a good reminder.

H C M said...

thank you for this post. as I sit here by my dying sister's bedside, evertyhing is distilled into the things that matter most, the fundamentals. love of family, love of god, etc. sweet times.

now the goal upon my return home is to keep this spirit of simplicity and sweetness.

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Powerful post, Jane. Much needed. It is SO easy for me to feel inadequate and find our "simple aka poor law student lifestyle" not coooool or that we need MORE, but really, I have everything I need already!! I need to use up all the food in our fridge before buying more, and really wear out my clothes before buying more. Thanks girl. YOu really ARE my bff and I just love you so much!

Kristine said...

lovely! listened to the talk this morning. Soo so good. He has great stories/examples in that talk. i have a great desire to appreciate the simple things in life. take more time to ponder, more time to develop and strengthen my relationships, and more time enjoying Gods creations!

jane said...

we had this talk today also,

it's such a good talk to remember what our #1 priorities really are and where to put our time.

i love these quotes too!

kylie said...

amen.
you are so great. i like your style.