Thursday, June 5, 2008

God is Good, God is Great!

Story time:
Yesterday I got an email regarding Student Teaching placements for the fall. I eagerly opened the list to scroll down to my name and see where I would be teaching. When I got to my name I was disappointed to find that there was nothing. Every other person on the list had the information except mine. I quickly replied saying there must have been some mistake. Today I got a response and it said that there is a hold on my account so they can't go forward with registering me for student teaching in the fall. I realized the hold was because of a student health insurance that I somehow forgot to submit a waiver for at the beginning of the semester. The charge was for $208. I called the office, explained the situation, and asked if they could take the fee off. The lady in the office explained that I was supposed to submit a waiver back in April and that now it was too late, so I would have to pay the $104 for the first half of the semester and I could submit a waiver for the second half. Very disappointed in myself I rode my bike up to campus to take care of the situation. I debated whether to make a big fuss about it and see if they could take the $104 off since it was an honest mistake. But it isn't in my nature. I got to the office and met with the lady from the phone convo. She handed me the paperwork and as I started filling the paperwork out she asked me questions. I expressed how it was too bad I made the mistake because I've been at the school since 03 and have waived student insurance every semester. She asked me how I have liked it at BYUI and we had small talk about the sunny skies, she asked me if I was getting married soon, and so on. In the mean time I started calling my sister and my mom to have them give me the insurance information. Both didn't answer. In my last phone call the lady turned around to her computer and with a click of a button she said "I'm really not supposed to do this, but I feel impressed to clear this for you." I was amazed. She started to cry and tell me how she felt a wonderful spirit about me, was grateful to have met me, that I would make a postive impact as a teacher. I was so touched. I did my best to express just how appreciative I was and I don't know if I could use the right words. She was so kind and I rode back home all smiles. I share this story because it was a lesson to me of how throwing fits of anger or tear of madness don't always get you what you want. I honestly felt at peace with just forking out the $104 because it was truly my mistake. This sweet experience reminded me in a simple way that God loves me. He looks out for me in the most minuscule situations.

5 comments:

H C M said...

Jane, that is a wonderful wonderful story. I am so happy you had that experience. I am also happy that others can sense the goodness in you that I sense. Proud and Grateful Mom

Mandy said...

whoa. that seriously made me tear up. :) you really are an amazing person and i am so stoked for you to be a teacher and to be able to pass on your wisdom and good example. that's a story for the grandkids... :) haha. love you birthday gurl

Meagan said...

tender! You're amazing.

Unknown said...

only at byui..so rad.

mandy said...

that's a cool story. Good for you. WAY TO BE and what a neat experience
So do you know where you will be student teaching at?